UTA Executive Board Meeting Wednesday, February 6, 2013 Members in attendance - Jen Robertson. Beth Riker, Rosemary Harcourt, Pam Yukna, Jeannine Yordanopoulos, Gaye Quintilliani, Eileen Bernier, Marion Clarke, Georgette Knapp, Kim Hill, Sharon Petrowicz, Becky Wise 1) Meeting called to order 3:33 2) Minutes from January meeting were accepted. 3) Membership Chair's report - seniority lists are out. Please check and initial. If there are any discrepancies, please email email@example.com with your issue and why you feel the list is incorrect 4) Treasurer's Report - none 5) Old Business / New Business a) Ed Eval - the Ed Eval team has had it's first meeting to review where we are in the process. Please remember this is a pilot year. b) A Stipend Review Committee is being formed to look at contract stipends. c) issue from UHS regarding a 'free' period to be able to include more specials and provide extra help support for students. Concerns regarding whether stipend activities can be meeting that period and that all staff will have an assignment. The E board decided that more information is needed regarding this possible schedule change. d) Question was asked regarding the coaching stipend positions and what could be required for an applicant to submit. This is an administrative decision and does not involve the union except in regards to the contract language pertaining to stipends. e) Nominations - Offices are up for election this April. Please consider volunteering for the Nomminations Committee. A minimum of two people from each building are needed to conduct the nominating and voting. David Balunas has volunteered for the high school. Jenn Martin has volunteered for Taft. If you are interested in volunteering, please see your building rep, ASAP. Meeting adjourned at 5:47
Present - J. Yordanopoulos, C. Zani, G. Quintiliani, R. Harcourt, G. Knapp, J. Robertson,
K. Fletcher, B. Riker, P. Yukna, K. Hill, B. Wise, E. Bernier
1. Meeting called to order - 3:38
2. Guest comments...none
3. No minutes from December at this time
4. Correspondence - let Kathleen Fletcher know by feb 22 if you are interested
in attending the ESP conference. Conference is April 5th and 6th.
5. Treasurers report was received
6. Membership chair - we will be requesting the seniority list from
7. New business -
a) Check your sick time in ipass. Be sure the dates and times of your
absences have been entered correctly.
b)The new payroll system has gone into effect for the town. Be sure to
check your pay and deductions carefully!
c)The UTA has again made a $100 donation to the UHS Academic Awards dinner.
d)The board voted to approve a $200 donation to the Newtown, CT Teachers Association
to be used to support teachers in moving to a new classroom, or as a scholarship fund,
However they see fit.
e)Educator Evaulation - Administration can and should 'walk through' any classrooms,
even if you are not currently on cycle 1 or 3.
f)Professional development accountability ...a concern was raised that
staff have been asked to provide documentation for in-house PD. This
issue will be raise with the Superintendant.
Meeting minutes - 12-5-12
Meeting called to order @ 4:52
1. Minutes of Previous Meetings
a) November was the Fall general meeting - no meeting minutes.
b) October minutes accepted as written.
3. Treasurer's Report
a) Treasuurers report received
4. Membership chair's Report
a) Dues should have begun December 13, 2012 - CHECK YOUR PAY STUBS!
b) The town's new payroll system starts in January. Continue to be
vigilant regarding your pay stubs. Monitor your deductions!
5. Old Business
a)Retirement deduction issues - a lawyer has been brought in and a
meeting has been set up. There is a court ruling from another town in
MA with a similar situation, that is in our favor. Still waiting for
follow-up from the town end of things. Lawyer will decide if this is
individual or class action on behalf of all staff involved.
b) Hurricane issue of day off for secretaries. Whether or not they
should have come into work was unclear on the second day. As of now
they have been told to take the day as a vacation or a flex day if
they didn't come in the second day.
c) Our new MTA rep, Barbara Connery, will hopefully attend our next
meeting to meet the e-board.
d) if your insurance card has been declined...contact Lisa Yaroshefski
at the town hall as soon as you are able to.
Meeting adjourned at 5:15.
Uxbridge Teachers’ Association
E-board meeting 9/5/12
Present: E. Riker, P. Yukna, R. Harcourt, G. Knapp, K. Fletcher, G.Quintilliani,
E. Bernier, J. Robertson, C. Zani, J.Yordanopoulos, K. Hill,
R. Wise, M. Clark
Absent: S. Petrowicz, J. Dore
- Call to Order – Meeting called to order at 3:35.
- Minutes of Previous Meeting
- The June meeting was also the spring social. There are no formal minutes to accept.
- Reading of Correspondence
- We have a new UniServ Consultant from MTA. Her name is Barbara Connery.
- Report of the Treasurer
- The Treasurer’s report was received.
- Report of Membership Chair
- Membership lists will be sent to the town hall much sooner this year to hopefully expedite the dues process.
- Report of Standing Committees - none at this time
- SICK BANK VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! Sick bank members need to be appointed for the current year per our contracts. Sick bank is a simple way to be involved. You are only called to meet if there is a request submitted for sick bank use.
- Unit A sick bank requires 4 volunteers.
- Unit C sick bank requires 2 volunteers.
- Unit D sick bank requires 3 volunteers.
- NOMINATIONS COMMITTEE MEMBERS NEEDED! The nominations committee needs volunteers. The executive board positions will be up for election this year and volunteers are needed to solicit nominations, create a ballot and hold an election. This is a one year appointment and can be completed in a few simple meetings.
If you are interested in helping out in any way, please contact your building rep.
- Report of Special Committees – none
- Comments from General Membership/Guests
- Kevin Carney, Superintendent, attended for a meet and greet with the Executive Board
- Unfinished (Old) Business
- Moving issues….KEEP SCHOOLDUDING any problems or requests. This is the only way to keep a “paper” trail! This goes for maintenance issues as well. It may be frustrating but for now this is all we can do.
- New Business
- Next Meeting – Wednesday, October 3, 2012
- Meeting adjourned @ 5:47.
REMINDER: Be sure to check your UTA bulletin board weekly.
Your Building Reps are:
Taft ELC – Jeannine Yordanopoulos
Whitin Elementary – Rosemary Harcourt
McCloskey Middle School – Caroline Zani
Uxbridge High School – Georgette Knapp
Your Unit Stewards are:
Unit B – Marion Clarke (UHS)
Unit C – Becky Wise & Kim Hill (UHS & Whitin)
Unit D – Eileen Bernier (Whitin)
Your Officers are:
President – Pam Yukna (Whitin)
Vice-President – Gaye Quintilliani (Taft)
Treasurer – Kathleen Fletcher (UHS)
Secretary – Beth Riker (Taft)
Membership Chair – Jennifer Roberston (UHS)
Your Webmaster is:
Gretchen Roche (McCloskey)
Your Retired Representatives are:
Uxbridge Teachers’ Association
E-board meeting 10/3/12
Present: E. Riker, P. Yukna, K. Fletcher, G.Quintilliani, S. Petrowicz, R. Harcourt,
E. Bernier, J. Robertson, C. Zani, J.Yordanopoulos, K. Hill
Absent: J. Dore, G. Knapp, R. Wise, M. Clark
Call to Order – Meeting called to order at 3:37.
Minutes of Previous Meeting – Minutes from the September were accepted as written.
Reading of Correspondence - none
Report of the Treasurer
The Treasurer’s report was received.
Report of Membership Chair
New member packets have been given to each building rep.
Report of Standing Committees - none at this time
The Sick Bank Committee for Unit A has been appointed. Thank you to Kara Ekstrom, Jeannine Yordanopoulos, Rosemary Harcourt, and Beth Riker for volunteering.
Linda Corona and Eileen Bernier have been appointed to the Unit D Sick Bank. Thank you both for volunteering. One more member is still needed.
Kim Hill has been appointed to the Unit C Sick Bank. Thank you Kim! One more member is still needed.
There were no volunteers for the Nominations Committee, please consider helping your association.
Report of Special Committees – none at this time
Unfinished (Old) Business
Payroll issues….just because your paycheck was correct the first week, continue to check it. Errors can happen anytime! The town is implementing a new payroll system that will roll out in a few months time. You need to stay aware and alert to your pay and deductions.
MTA legal is being consulted to determine if we have any recourse for those who have issues.
Agency fee – those members who choose not to join the Association may be subject to an agency fee.
Unit D contract clarification – meetings and coverage – Unit D staff can refuse to cover for a full day as a sub for a teacher. This language does not apply to being assigned to cover in the short term, ie meetings. Please refer to the contract language below. Article 5.7.c
Fall General Meeting – November 7th at Willowbrook 2:30-5:00. Any Eboard issues will be discussed after.
Comments from General Membership/Guests - none
Next Meeting – Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at Willowbrook Restaurant in Mendon.
Meeting adjourned @ 5:10.
REMINDER: Be sure to check your UTA bulletin board weekly.